Thursday, August 26, 2004

This was supposed to be big.....

Astros versus Cubs, Miller, Petitte, Clemens, Oswalt, some #5 pitcher versus Prior, Maddux, Clement, Wood, Zambrano. These were the 2 teams supposedly fighting for the division this year, little did we know Tony Womack was going to have a good year for the Cards.

Pitching matchups:

Backe vs Prior (Prior's been shelled at home this year)
Oswalt vs. Wood (Will the beanballs continue? have to think Wood will refrain as another suspension at this point wouldn't be smart)
Clemens vs. Zambrano (hope I can watch that one)
Hernandez vs. Clement (Clement finally catches some breaks)

Well we get 2 really good pitching matchups in this one and I'll take 3 out of 4 and be happy. Our wild card competitors get Atlanta and Montreal respectively. J. Schmidt is back though and will pitch Saturday against the Braves and the Expos have actually been playing pretty well since the All-Star break, so hopefully they'll give the Padres some troubles.

More importantly though, fantasty baseball news....

- My absolute WORST fantasy baseball moment is when you see a team score a whole bunch of runs and you have a guy on that team. Then you check the box score and your guy either DIDN't play or in my case barely contributed. Last night the Angels scored 21 runs and I have Eckstein & Figgins on my team. Neither did horribly but, Eckstein didn't get a hit (did score a few runs) and Figgins was 2 for 4 with a double and few runs scored. But with 21 runs I WANTED MORE.......

- I have the best pitching in my league (3.37 TEAM ERA...2nd place is 3.53...3rd place is 3.84), yet I'm only 3rd in total points. Why? Cause of the damn wins. (For those of you who play in 4x4, 5x5, 6x6 or any of those traditional roto leagues, just ignore this as I play at stats.com and the scoring is COMPLETELY different.....MUCH, MUCH better but different) Somehow with a staff of R. Johnson, T. Glavine. C. Zambrano, K. Wood, a combo of M. Prior/R.Oswalt (now I have Prior, I traded Oswalt for him), and relievers J. Nathan, Percival and J. Frasor. This is a GREAT staff, but I've been stuck with a .500 win percentage while the other teams have had ridiculous winning percentages above me. Not to mention, the tough luck of Wood, Johnson & Glavine has led me with only 61 wins which is about 8th in a 12 team league. Plus any saves (I have 73 total) over your wins don't count until your wins match or exceed your saves (like in 'REAL' baseball where you can't get a save w/o a win). I'm starting to get annoyed. The D'Backs had the bases loaded with 1 one out in the top of the 9th last night and Baerga hits into a double play and Sunday Wood gets tossed after 4 1/3 while cruising to an easy win. Someone is out to get me......

As usual, Go Cubs, and if you happen to drill Oswalt in the shoulder blades, so be it. We'll understand.....

3 Comments:

At August 27, 2004 at 1:33 AM, Blogger James said...

Hey Rob... guess what's worse... having Figgins and Eckstein on your fantasy team and finding them both on the bench. Not really that big of a deal in this instance, but replace Eckstein and Figgins with a pitcher who threw a shutout... and you get the point.

Also... I won't forgive Woody if he goes out and takes a shot at somebody. The Cubs need him too badly to lose him for any amount of starts. Against the Cardinals, Padres, Giants, other teams we might see again when it counts, it's a different story. But we've already proved our dominance over this team on the field and in the standings.

I've moved on from Oswalt beaning Barrett. I'm hoping the only payback he'll get from the Cubs will be a not-so-Friendly ass whuppin with their bats... if rain doesn't cancel the game, that is.

 
At August 27, 2004 at 1:35 AM, Blogger James said...

btw... I just found your blog, so I'll keep checking in cause it looks good so far. Maybe next year, we can get a fantasy league started.

 
At August 27, 2004 at 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob,

Being the guy you just traded Oswalt to, I'm hoping he doesn't get drilled between the shoulders. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home